We appreciate all that have commented regarding the announcement from National BSA of increasing the annual membership fee from $15 to $24 effective January 1, 2014 and wanted to provide additional clarification.
Across the country, millions of Scouts rely on support from the National Boy Scouts of America to provide the world-class programming and training that makes Scouting the nation's foremost youth program.
The National BSA is funded directly by the membership fee you pay when you register to be a Scout or leader and is not part of the local council operating fund. In order to maintain their support of local Scouting, the national organization has determined that the annual membership fee increase effective January 1, 2014.
These funds are used to:
- Develop program materials and resources.
- Deliver training for professional Scouters and volunteer leaders.
- Provide a safe environment for Scouts with the most effective youth protection policies and systems. This includes cost of background checks on all volunteers.
- Provide liability insurance for charter organizations, its officers, and Scouting volunteers.
- Maintain infrastructure support for local Council's such as membership and advancement databases. This includes upgrades and development of new software to aid council’s and volunteers as they carry out the Scouting program.
The annual membership fee is the only direct cost from the National BSA to youth and adult members. All other services from the National BSA are without additional charge. Scouting remains the best value among the many activities your family could choose to take part in. Even with this fee increase, it only costs $2 per month to be part of the once-in-a-lifetime adventures and leadership development programs you can only find in Scouting.
All of the fees collected for membership goes directly to the National BSA and does not stay here at your local council. Just as your charter organization pays a yearly charter fee, the Shenandoah Area Council does as well.
As always, our focus is to build the leaders of this country by combining adventure, educational activities, and lifelong values. This fee increase ensures that the National BSA will be able to continue providing the excellent services you, your family and your council count on - and will make sure that we can continue doing great things for the young people and communities we serve.
For questions about the National BSA membership fee, please consult with your District Executive.