The Philmont Scout Ranch is located in Cimarron, New Mexico, and provides the ultimate in high-adventure. It is the world’s largest youth camp covering 140,180 acres or about 220 square miles. There are 35 staffed and 55 trail camps with over 770 total campsites. Philmont’s elevation ranges from 6,500 to 12,441 feet providing the thrill of climbing mountains over two miles high. Philmont allows you to experience an unforgettable adventure in the high country along three hundred miles of rugged, rocky trails.
The 2018 Philmont Trek dates will be June 25th – July 7. The approximately 16 day adventure includes 12 days at the Philmont BSA Ranch. Prior to arriving at Philmont, the 2018 Adult Advisors will plan pre-trek activities over 2-4 days allowing for all to acclimate to the altitude (9,000-14,000 feet), and have fun while visiting and exploring the high country of Colorado and New Mexico. Activities from previous years included whitewater rafting on the famous Arkansas River, as well as, visits to the US Air Force Academy, Pike’s Peak, and Garden of the Gods.
Shenandoah Area Council (SAC) is also offering the Cavalcade Trek (up to 10 Scouts and 2 adults). This one will be co-ed as well. Philmont Cavalcades are similar to regular expeditions except that, instead of hiking, crews ride horses through the rugged mountain wilderness like the famous trappers who first explored the West. The dates for the Cavalcade are August 2 - 10, 2018.
Shenandoah Area Council (SAC) is offering the traditional backpacking expedition (up to 48 Scouts/Leaders and three crews) This will take place in the Philmont backcountry. The cost is estimated to be $2,200 - $2,400 and includes the Philmont fee, airfare, meals, transportation to and from the airports, side trips, and trainings.
For more information about Philmont—go to Web URL address: http://philmontscoutranch.org/
1. be age 14 OR have completed the eighth grade and at least age 13 at time of participation.
2. be approved by the SAC Philmont Committee.
3. file an acceptable Personal Health and Medical Record Form.
4. meet the Philmont height and weight guidelines (BMI & fitness requirements).
5. participate in ALL scheduled training hikes (~4), overnights, & meetings (~4).
6. keep payments up to date as scheduled.
1. Must be 21 years of age by June 1, 2018.
2. Be interviewed and approved by the SAC Philmont Committee
3. File an acceptable Personal Health and Medical Record Form.
4. Meet the Philmont height and weight guidelines.
5. Participate in ALL scheduled training hikes, overnights and meetings.
6. Keep payments up to date as scheduled.
SHENANDOAH AREA COUNCIL
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA
107 Youth Development Court
Winchester, VA 22602
Hours of Operation:
10:00am - 5:30pm (M-F)
10:00am - 2:00pm (2nd Sat. each month)
National BSA Parents Materials
Weekend Camping Reservations
National Volunteer Page