National Youth Leadership Training
About National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT)
National Youth Leadership Training is an exciting, action-packed program designed to provide youth members with leadership skills and experience they can use in their home troops and in other situations demanding leadership of self and others.
The NYLT course centers around the concepts of what a leader must BE, what they must KNOW, and what they must DO. The key elements are then taught with a clear focus on HOW TO. The skills come alive during the course as the patrol goes on a Quest for the Meaning of Leadership.
NYLT is a six-day course. Content is delivered in a troop and patrol outdoor setting with an emphasis on the immediate application of learning in a fun environment. Interconnecting concepts and work processes are introduced early, built upon, and aided by the use of memory aids, which allows participants to understand and employ leadership skills much faster.
NYLT integrates the best of modern leadership theory with the traditional strengths of the Scouting experience. Through activities, presentations, challenges, discussions, and audio-visual support, NYLT participants will be engaged in a unified approach to leadership that will give them the skill and confidence to lead well. Through a wide range of activities, games, and adventures, participants will work and play together as they put into action the best Scouting has to offer.
In order to attend an NYLT course, a youth must have the following qualifications by the beginning of the course:
- Must be a registered member of a Scouting unit.
- Must have a current BSA Health and Medical Record form parts A, B, and C.
- Scouts BSA members (male and female) must be at least 13. They must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops.
- Venturers and Sea Scouts (male and female) must be at least 14, or 13 and have completed eighth grade, and fall within the maximum age allowance for their program. They must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews or Ships.
- It is recommended that youth have at least one year of camping experience. While NYLT is not an outdoor skills course, it is important that each participant have basic camping and outdoor cooking experience.
- Have a unit leader recommendation.
Youth Participant Registration Fee $285.00. A $50.00 Deposit is due with registration. A $65.00 Late Fee after 4/15/2021.
NYLT Staff Fee $125.00. A $50.00 Deposit is due with registration. A $25.00 Late Fee after 4/15/2021.
National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT) May 29, 2021 to May 31