National Youth Leadership Training
About National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT)
National Youth Leadership Training is an exciting, action-packed program designed to provide youth members with leadership skills and experience they can use in their home troops and in other situations demanding leadership of self and others.
The NYLT course centers around the concepts of what a leader must BE, what they must KNOW, and what they must DO. The key elements are then taught with a clear focus on HOW TO. The skills come alive during the course as the patrol goes on a Quest for the Meaning of Leadership.
NYLT is a six-day course. Content is delivered in a troop and patrol outdoor setting with an emphasis on the immediate application of learning in a fun environment. Interconnecting concepts and work processes are introduced early, built upon, and aided by the use of memory aids, which allows participants to understand and employ leadership skills much faster.
NYLT integrates the best of modern leadership theory with the traditional strengths of the Scouting experience. Through activities, presentations, challenges, discussions, and audio-visual support, NYLT participants will be engaged in a unified approach to leadership that will give them the skill and confidence to lead well. Through a wide range of activities, games, and adventures, participants will work and play together as they put into action the best Scouting has to offer.
In order to attend an NYLT course, a youth must have the following qualifications by the beginning of the course:
Requirements and Expectations:
- Scouts BSA members (male and female) must be at least 13 and First Class. They must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops.
- Venturers and Sea Scouts (male and female) must be at least 14, or 13 and have completed eighth grade, and fall within the maximum age allowance for their program. They must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews or Ships.
- Recommendation letter by your Scoutmaster or Crew Advisor to be submitted upon registration
- Currently serving or likely to serve in a unit-level position of responsibility
- Minimum of 2 previous long-term camping experiences
- Full knowledge of basic cooking and knots/lashing
- Commitment to abide by the Scout Oath and Law
- Must attend the full course of training to receive a certificate of completion
- Please carefully consider the Scouts/Venturers you send to NYLT – the amount of benefit a young person will get from this training is directly proportional to their level of maturity, attitude and focus.
NOTE: The NYLT course scheduled for June 11-16, 2023 has been CANCELLED, due to insuffient staffing resources and participant registration. We hope to be able to offer a NYLT course sometime in the near future.